Announcing our 15th Annual Sumo Tournament!
Greetings! It’s starting to feel like summer, and we have a big event coming up…
The 15th Akita International Sumo Tournament!
This event will be held on June 8th 2019 at Akita Kenritsu Budokan from 11:30 a.m.
**Note that the sumo area is at the back of the building.
- Date: Saturday, June 8th
- Wrestler’s arrival time: 9:30 AM
- Doors open: 11:00 AM
- Opening ceremony: 11:30 AM
- Estimated finish time: 3:30 PM
- ¥1000 for entry, students free
The Akita International Sumo Tournament is an annual event that was first held in 2005 and has since welcomed participants from 15 countries, including Japan. Every year we meet in a friendly sumo tournament to decide who is worthy of Akita’s Yokozuna title. It is a fun event that is unique to the Akita international community, so we hope you will join us in continuing tradition!
We are looking forward to meeting all participants in both the men’s and women’s divisions.
Wrestlers please sign up by Sunday, June 2 through this link: https://form.jotform.me/charityakita/sumo-sign-ups-2019
Wrestlers should arrive by 9:30 AM to prepare for the event and put on a mawashi.
Don’t want to wrestle, but want to be involved?
We are also recruiting volunteers and bake sale contributors for the event!
Positions available are as follows:
- Referees: (sumo experience preferred) This person will stand inside the ring and adjudicate bouts.
- Judges: Judges observe bouts from different angles to assist the referee where required. They may also be referred to for the scheduling of bouts.
- MCs: The MC will introduce participants and help with communication between event staff and audience.
- Bake sale contributors: Bring in food to be sold at the event bake sale. Treats that have been sold in the past include cornbread, sandwiches, scones and cookies.
Volunteers should pick their preferred position through this registration link: https://forms.gle/K6atkWzKpRYQcmtS8
Volunteers and wrestlers will receive food during the event (likely onigiri and tea).
Proceeds from this event will be sent to TELL Japan.
Prizes will be awarded to the champion and runner-up.
Feel free to contact us with any questions through email or our Facebook page!